HomeWork With Us  Energy & MineralsOther Business Arrangements

Other Business Arragements (OBAs)

How do you enter into an OBA with Trust Lands? Most OBAs start with a project proponent checking out the maps on our website to make sure that the lands they are interested in are open and not subject to an existing lease. After that, simply contact us with your proposal. This typically looks like a project proponent reaching out directly to the lease manager at Trust Lands that works with their specific commodity, presenting them with a prepared letter or other business proposal explaining the nature of the transaction. Oftentimes, proponents of OBAs will come into the office in person or via Zoom for a meeting so they can go over their proposed project with our Energy and Minerals Team.

Your letter or proposal should include:

  • Desired lands
  • Type of lease i.e. oil and gas, helium, hard rock, etc.
  • Length of lease
  • Start date
  • Royalty rate
  • Plan of development for the lands in question
  • Incentives
  • Any additional information such as bonuses, extensions, etc.

Submit your letter to the Energy and Minerals Department either via email to or mail to 102 S 200 E, Suite 600, Salt Lake City, UT 84111.

Once your letter of interest is received, you will be contacted by one of our Energy and Mineral lease managers to begin negotiations. After the Board of Trustees has approved the terms of the OBA, we will draft an agreement memorializing the terms and conditions agreed to by the parties.

Contact Us

General contact us form.